7 Lakes Basin - 3 day hike (Aug 2010)

About Me

My photo
I am a student at the University of Washington. I love the mountains and trees in the Great NorthWest.

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Interview



Last week I had my first real interview for a software engineering job. I was quite nervous, didn't know what to expect, way out of my league and well yeah I was kind of a mess. I spent the rest of the day and that night going over the questions they asked in my head and why I didn't say what I should have said and asked. I do feel like I was myself during the interview, and they definitely got to know me. So the question remains, will it be enough? Probably not, but it was a good experience and I definitely learned a lot. I should hear from them by the end of the week. Now it's time to start sending out my resume to more and more companies and let those interviews start piling up. Someone will take me!

I think I'll be sining up for linked-in soon: http://www.linkedin.com/

10 comments:

  1. I am sure you did great and even if you do not get the job, like you said it was a great learning experience and you will be able to apply what you learned to your next interview. Like anything else the more you do it the easier and the better you will become at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty scary, did they ask you to do any programming problems on the spot? Also, did you dress up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats man!! The interviewing process is definitely overwhelming. I've been stressing out about it as well.. I DONT WANT TO GET SHOT DOWN!! T__T but glad to hear you put your foot in the door. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The interview almost always seems worse to you then it actually was. While I can't speak from personal experience, a friend of mine thought he absolutely bombed his interview, and ended up being hired by the end of the week. And hey, the worst thing that can come out of this is experience you can use for later... Which is never a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job getting out there! I really need to start doing the same... I don't graduate for another quarter (Fall is my last)... but I should've been already getting my resume out for awhile now, really. I wish you the best of luck on job searching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't heard back from them. I'm thinking about calling in tomorrow to ask about the position.

    To answer a few questions: They didn't ask me to program anything on the spot, but they did ask specifics about the Java language and how a few of its data structures worked.

    Thanks for the support guys! I hope all of you have good luck with your interviews too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I consider interview a lottery. While you can prepare very well and nail it, there are still so many factors that the employers take into account such as your attitude, personality, how well you'll fit in the company culture, etc. The best thing is to be yourself, honest, and excited about what you're doing. I went through technical interviews last year when I was looking for internship and was able to get 4 job offers, even though I wasn't sure if they will hire me after interview at all. It's good that you started looking in advance and good luck with your search!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They called me back! I hear this interview is even harder. I will get asked to code on the white board! I'm stressing!!! AHH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete